Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Weekend Coffee

Coffee drinkers like my husband need their coffee EVERY morning.  There is no getting around it.  He needs it intravenously to get up in the morning. Someone, please don't say me, should make a caffeine IV drip that you plug into at night and clicks on at the proper wake up time for coffee drinkers like my hubby.

He told me stories of when he was single and would connect his alarm clock radio to huge speakers to shock him out of the bed.  And even then he would still be late for work.  But at least he had a chance of dragging himself from bed and making his coffee.  If he was lucky, and had remembered, he had loaded the coffee maker the night before and set it to run in the morning.  Knowing his cognitive functioning level prior to his first cup of coffee, I'm surprised he could accomplish this task.

So it does not matter if it is a weekday or a weekend.  For me, this means every day starts the same.  The coffee ritual ensures I am up.  It doesn't mean I'm functioning at my highest cognitive level.  This Saturday morning is an example. We were out "late" last night.  (Since high school, this "late time" has gradually shortened from 4:00am to anything before midnight.)  I went to bed around midnight and had 2 glasses of Merlot while watching a show last night.  

This morning, I awoke at 7:00am to the noises of my husband dealing with cats and dogs.  He's pretty grumpy at this stage of the wake up process and I know he will be back in bed very soon.  I gingerly ask if he would like me to make his coffee yet ("Yeah, sure, whatever......zzzzzzz").  Sometimes he's ok being up and actually asking him now is pointless, because he doesn't remember anything I ask him before his first cup of coffee.  (This has been very interesting to me over the years.)  If I let him sleep, he'll go until noon or even 2:00pm.  I usually wait a bit on weekend mornings unless we have to be somewhere.  

Regardless of when I decide to wake him, the pot of coffee will be ready.  Meanwhile, I'm awake now and have some alone time.  I turn at look out the window:  Ah, beautiful Saturday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment