Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Surprise

When I'm making coffee for my husband in the mornings, I'm not thinking about this being a burden.  This morning I was thinking how lucky and grateful I am that I have such an incredible husband.  (This being quite a feat as I have had 2 failed marriages.)  

My husband often gives me pleasant surprises in small ways.  Many years ago, when I had the old coffee maker which took the paper filters, he left the first of many notes scribbled sweetly on a coffee filter and carefully placed back in the bag of filters.  That morning I was surprised to find a coffee filter with "Good Morning, Milady!  Have a wonderful day!"  He did this infrequently enough that each time it brought joy to my mornings.  

This morning was a different kind of surprise.  He likes to surprise me, I think.  (Sometimes I just need him to tell me what is going on so I know what I should be wearing if he says:  "Get in the car.  We are going for a ride!"  But in general, I like surprises.)  This morning I noticed his wallet and the credit card sitting next to the computer.  He must have bought something, I thought.  What he bought was 2 plane tickets to Washington DC for next month's Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's march.  Although I had expressed how much fun it would be to go, I was surprised to see he had made the next step.  I also know this is a sacrifice for him.  As much as I like crowds and parades and events, he is not into crowds or extended walking.

So, this morning I am grateful for his sacrifices in this relationship and sharing in experiences with me.

Oh, that's the coffee buzzer!  Time to wake him up!

No comments:

Post a Comment